Tuesday 10 September 2013

PINK SHEET


Pink Sheet
Dear Sanda,

From the reign of pink sheets, to the reign of moving Ghana to a better place than the      discussing of the court verdict, I bring you greetings from the warmest part of Accra.

Accra is really burning with heat, sometimes I tell myself when I travel to my holidays to Adolf Hitler’s land, I will not return to my motherland.

That is not really going to happen, with the love I have for my country, I don’t see myself running to any man’s land and living mother Ghana in whose care? Living mother Ghana to the white man’s land isn’t any short term goal for me, in fact it is not in my long term plans either. That is just by the way.

I hope you are doing well, and the reign of pink sheets did not make you decide to hide rice, yam, Burkina and atadw3 in your room just in case something went wrong. Am sure you might be smiling by now, but once again, Ghana has proven to the world that it is really the epitome of democracy in Africa. Many thanks to the Ghanaian who did not agree to solve misunderstanding by the gun but by dialogue.

I have made this observation for quite some time now but I normally do not want to write on it because it is something bothering on parenthood and parenting. It is the education of the young in our communities, I have therefore resolved that we discuss this to the extreme and try to find working solutions to my topic.

Sanda it is about some of our parents discouraging other parents who resolve to educate their children to the highest ladder of knowledge.

And if you try finding out excuses as to why they discourage their colleagues, it is either the girl child will end up pregnant is school, or education will waste his/her time making his/her life amount to nothing, or he/she will live his religion and join another religion whiles he is in school, and the excuses are endless.

Sanda some of them are just being mischievous; the fact that you cannot or decide not to educate your child does not mean the neighbours children should be like yours.

In this 21st century, if you do not give your child the education he or she needs to boss on in life, what kind of future are you planning for generations yet unborn?

As to the issue of why some parents discourage other  parents from sending their wards to school, let us look at it from a different mind view, I always have the believe in life that, you cannot and must not judge someone with the sins of another person.

Simply, if another person was a disappointment when he was sent to school, it does not mean the colleague in question will also end up like his predecessor.  

Mistakes happen, but the mistakes of A cannot be explained as the possible mistakes of B.

Moving away from the issue of some of our parents, a young man told me he had new ideas on how to make life better for himself and if it becomes a reality, it will go on to improve the life of  his yet to be unborn generation.

When he told his friend seeking advice, the  friend chose to discourage him with a defeatist mentality, do not do it, it’s risky, it will not breed good earnings, and a whole lot of other issues. Instead of encouraging him with people like bill gate and Steve jobs who started from nowhere and have become role models for the youth, he chose to kill that idea.

Sanda, when I heard that I was very surprised. The fact that you have created a defeatist spirit for yourself does not mean every one must think and behave like you. If you believe you are not capable of doing something great in life, it does not mean everyone around you should suffer that fate.

  I thought since we talking of one having a positive mentality, we should discuss the power of positive thinking.

 Sanda I believe if an individual decides to think positively, a lot of things could go his way. I read a piece from Jane Framingham, PHD on the power of positive thinking.

In her words, she said no one can avoid all negative feelings in life, and it’s not realistic to think you can or should, but the happiest people somehow know how to buffer them by keeping life’s inevitable tragedies.

She said being optimistic is very important, “no one understands why a positive attitude helps people recover faster from surgery or cope better with serious diseases”, and she explains that mounting evidence shows that it is the power of the mind over the immune system.

She said pessimism stresses you out, boosting levels of destructive hormones, and therefore having a positive attitude towards life also help you take care of yourself better and attract more people in your life which she believes you can keep them there.

Basically, it is high time we start being positive, positivity pays, optimism pays, and life even pays better when you we decide to remain positive.

When you wake up in the morning and feel life has let you down, remember, keep positive, stay positive and be positive.

I will end my letter here hoping we won’t have to hear anything on pink sheet battles again in our country for a very long time to come.

follow @BilkisNuhu on twitter

No comments: