Friday 12 July 2013

what some men in power do



Dear Sanda,
This is to know how you have been doing over the days, am really hoping you are doing well. My topic today bothers on people in power who want to abuse their positions.
This is because of the recent reports I have heard, some of which I witnessed and others of which I was a victim.
Recently, I went on an assignment from my work place, I know I am a habitual late comer but in some instances, I go to programmes a bit early. But to the programme  in question,  I got there late and took my seat quietly.
Luckily for me, my other colleague was there so she got something before I got there, the programme was a success and I was really happy I went there, not for any gains though, just for taking part in such a programme.
After the programme, my colleague and I saw this “big man” who offered to drive us back to the office, we joined and as promised he took us to the office, but before then, he did us a lot of favours  , not monetary but helping us get information for our media house.
We were taken to the office, and I thought that was the end, well it wasn’t. He kept calling my phone in particular and I thought it was normal, like you making a new friend especially for people in our profession; you need to build a contact.
That was how naive I was, he wanted something else and he didn’t feel any shame in telling me the way it is. I was able to push him away in the nicest possible way I knew how.
 But Sanda, this isn’t the first time I had had to deal with this kind of people, when I was discussing it with my girl friend at work, it wasn’t any different at her end.
Sanda stuff like this happen, big men who are married with wives and children trying to date young women as young as their children or even grandchildren
A colleague of mine is dating an older man, my first reaction was like `what!` The man am sure was older than her dad, and she knew for a fact he was a married man with children, but the interesting part was her mum also knew about their relationship with this older man.
Sanda , it made me ask myself why these older men will do that, notwithstanding the fact that these big men sometimes ask some  young women who apply for jobs in their offices favours they know these young women must render because they need these jobs in some situations.
These men can pass for their fathers, in some situations their guardians, but they rather choose to be perverts and abuse these young women some of which are very innocent.
Some get so attached to these young girls to the extent of preventing them from having relationship with guys their age.
Some of these young girls from our various universities purposely go in for men their father’s age because of the gift and favours they get in return.
They argue that the older men are matured enough and know how to treat young ladies better than the younger men.
 It’s very difficult living with this group of girls in their hostels, and I wonder how their roommates and close friends feel seeing them with their flashy gifts, which they bring back from their various visits to these men.
They sometimes end up getting some of their colleagues to join in their trade since some of these girls wouldn’t want to be left out in the quest of being beautiful or flashy.
Some girls also date these old men not because they want to but because of their financial difficulties, they do this to supplement the efforts of their parents.
Sanda, some of my colleagues allege that ministers of state come to their universities to pick their girl friends. The question I ask myself is that, even the leaders in our country do not find anything wrong with dating younger women and living their wives at home, what will happen to older men who have excess money to spend?.
I just think that it is the place of our Parents to try and protect some of these young women so they don’t end up in the hands of predators.
Certain ways parents can help reduce the involvement of their children in dating older men I believe will be to take up their responsibilities.
Sanda, I think I will have to end my letter, praying to our maker to protect our women folks, because it is almost becoming a culture that affluent older men will keep them for the rest of their lives.

No comments: