Sunday 2 June 2013

3rd letter to Sanda (internship)


Dear Sanda,

As i told you in my last letter, the school will be assigning us to different media houses so we can have a practical training to the numerous theories we learnt in class. We had our assignment to a radio station. My excitement was that I was going to work for a radio station. I only get to see a console on TV when they having shows for DJ’s, or when i go to Google search bar and i type console. We were four, who were assigned to serve, and the other two weren’t available, I went together with the other lady to the supposed media house in question.

You should have seen how early we wanted to get there, you know what they say, first impressions count a lot. We didn’t want to get there late so we agreed to get there as early as 8:00 am. And we will try to look very official.

For my part, I picked a new suit and a new shirt (Pink). Since I didn’t want to get there late with my new suit dirty, I picked a cab, (I didn’t want to get to my first day at work in sweats). I got to the place a little pass eight in the morning. My colleague was patiently waiting for me. As soon as we got there, we were directed by the receptionist to go and meet the lady in charge of interns. We walked into her office and were asked to have a seat. She explained to us the procedures they went through before picking interns she said  they had interviews they do for interns , before they pick them for their media house(this information was given to us in school, so you can say we were ready for the interview). But Sanda, i am out to learn, that is why it is called internship. How do I pass an interview if i have never attended any?

She then showed us a different building outside their office to go and meet the gentleman in charge of recruitments. As obedient as we were, we went straight to the office in question. The gentleman referred us to a lady near his desk. The funny thing was after we were given a seat, she picked our letter and went through it and told us they had no vacancies for interns. She gave us a sticker to write our names and numbers, she promised to call as soon as they get space for interns.

But she was quick to add, if your school can reassign you to a new place that will be fine. As disappointed as we were, we left the place and walked to get a car to our various homes. But as faith will have it, another media house picked my colleague and me the next day after our experience at the other media house. What kept motivating me was to prove my worth and let this current media house know they haven’t made any mistake in accepting to train my colleagues and I.

With me spending the vacation with them, I was hoping I will live there content. Having 3 0r 5 by-lines a week wouldn’t be a bad start.  It’s just a beginning, and little by little we will get there.

 

No comments: