Sunday 2 June 2013

first letter to Sanda


Dear Sanda,

    This is the first of many letters I will be writing to you, I hope for it to be a weekly, a bi-weekly or dailies. An update of what really transpires in Accra within my reach.  That I will observe with keen interest and tell you.

It could be events that happened on campus; my news letter will cut across the social, the political, the sporting activities, student’s affairs and a lot of other things.

 Since today is my first letter, let me give you a little insight into my background and what motivates me.

My name which you already know, but let me just repeat it again for the sake of protocol. My name is Bilkis Nuhu Kokroko. I come from the Brong Ahafo Region of Ghana, I am a Dagomba by tribe and we hail from Tamale in the Northern Region. But I was born in Kintampo. I don’t know much about my town of origin or place of birth.

But i will research on that one exclusively for you to read. I am told my town has rich cultural heritage, and we are full of intellectuals. (I am yet to see how true that is)

To start with my background, I come from a very humble Islamic background and i have two dads. You will be wondering why two dads? I am one of the lucky few who take inspirations from two fathers, and they have also become mentors for my life. My other dad was an Islamic scholar in my town and its environs. He believed in the education of the individuals in the community. He therefore took it upon himself to push young Muslim brilliant kids so they could further their education.

My other dad is also an Islamic scholar and a member of the pen fraternity. He believes in the education of the girl child very much, and he has educated the boy child too. But educating the girl child makes the world.  He has therefore always supported every other person that needed the right help to boss on in life. He is an authority when  it comes to  writing and i want to grow and be better than him, no doubt.

I do not have the influence they both have, but God has given me an opportunity to be a member of the pen fraternity. It is the only tool that can make and unmake the world; i love it when members of this fraternity are called the fourth estate of the realm. It only means that their words carry change.

I am hoping to be one of the agents of change. My pen will serve as my ink, and God my guide. And I believe with time, I know with time, I can effect that change.

I pray you correct me where I err in writing. I am not an expert at writing, but I hope you will criticize constructively so I get to know where my mistakes are from, and you will give me practical examples on how to correct them.

You know what the Akan proverb says, the one cutting the road cannot see if the line is bent, unless the one watching tells him. I will therefore accept the constructive criticisms at all times. They should come to make me a better writer. 

I hope you are doing well, and I hope the family too is, have a lovely day.


No comments: