Monday 24 June 2013

BECE

Dear Sanda,
    Today all candidates of the Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) across the country have finally written their last paper.
Their joy knows no bounds, as I was moving from home a while ago, I saw the excitement on their faces and how gay they felt for finally completing their journey in the Junior High School.  
I was happy too, and felt like I just completed JHS. That reminds me of the time I completed my Junior Secondary School.
I remember my time in Adab Islamic Secondary School, My Alma Mata. I was just 13 and was one of the small ones to be writing the exam.
I was writing with my brother and cousin, and in my time we were writing for one week, two papers a day and you must learn all the two.
That takes me back to the time my one and only role model who is my uncle took time to groom us, he was so optimistic about us going through because of the grooming they gave us.
My uncle was very proud of me and my siblings, the school also had so much faith in us because we were the best in the class. You had to make sure you compete and win over your sibling and come first in class or you will not get any gift from my uncle.
I made sure I gave it my best because I didn’t want to be in the losing end.
You wouldn’t want to miss the 5000 (GHp50) or 10000 (1 Cedi) for getting all correct in your class work
And the special treatment you will be receiving for the coming days.
While I was walking through memory lane, I presumed most of the kids will get that same treatment my siblings and I got
 I remember the promise my parents and uncle made to me if I can get the best results for my end, I was so positive that I was going to get the 6 one’s as I promised my parents. I even wanted to attend St. Mary’s or Accra Girls, which was my dream.
But that wasn’t what happened to me. My results came and I did so miserably that my first and second choice schools weren’t going to pick me.
 Far from that my step mum got me admission into the school that shaped my future and gave me hope to become a better person in future.
I gained admission in Methodist Girl’s High school in the Mamfe-Akuapem in the Eastern Region.
Well I was disappointed that I couldn’t keep my promise, but when I knew that I was going to the boarding house, I was so happy, reasons because
·        I wont be doing house chores
·        I was going to see a new place
·        Because I will be living far away from home, so they will miss me
I remember how my step mum prepared me and bought all the things I needed for school, everything. But before we went to school, I got the chance to go to Aburi Secondary and Technical school with my brother, he gained admission there, and he was taken to school before my car took me to Mamfe.
I remember my first day in school very well. When I got there, they had gone for dining and I went for my plate and came to ask where the dinning hall was, the “sister” since they warned us not to call them “seniors”. She told me to put my bowl down because they have closed already.
My journey through the school was that of determination, because my headmistress Ms Janet Bediako Asare told us that, it doesn't matter how bad your results was, what mattered was how good  your final year results will be.
I remembered how my teachers took their time to guide us through our stay in school, well except my Mathematics and Science teacher who were very lazy and felt we should know it all
Well to cut a long story short, we graduated and I left school, this time with a very good result except for the second time my Mathematics and Science disappointed me again, but this time around, I left school with a determined spirit, I will make it in life
The whole point of this narration is to let the new grandaunts to know that, they have fought a good fight and they should remain very positive about what they want.
The little time you give your mind a chance to do why not and the what if’s, you giving yourself ways to be negative minded, you begin to be a failure since the mind is a very powerful tool that determines who we are and who we become.
I want these kids to know that they have to use the little time out of school to educate themselves especially their time being computer age.
To also let them know that humility is very important. The fact that you have become a JHS graduate does not mean you are above your elders, it pays to be humble
I really am hopeful that these kids will do so well, and in case of any eventualities, I am hoping that they pick a spirit of a fighter, a never say die person because in this world , when you don’t fight and press on through life, you will never get to your destination
I will end my letter by telling these kids to persevere, and make sure they make something very good out of their lives.
I hope life is treating you fairly


No comments: